Resource Round-up: Childhood vaccination
Whether you’re administering vaccines in your pharmacy or helping parents and kids understand the benefits of getting vaccinated, there’s lots of information to wade through. Here is a round-up of some helpful resources.
- Caregiver checklist: Preparing for a child's vaccine appointment
- Practice tool: Pharmacy top tips for childhood vaccinations: Setting your pharmacy up for success
- Webinar recording: Learning to play your CARDs: Improving the childhood vaccination experience and what you need to know about COVID-19 vaccines and kids
FAQs and decision-making resources
University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy
Children’s Healthcare Canada
- Immunizing Children with Confidence (Resource hub)
Centre for Effective Practice
- The Centre for Effective Practice is one of the largest independent knowledge translation organizations for primary care in Canada. Their COVID-19: Vaccines resource is updated regularly and features updates about COVID-19 vaccines for children.
Strategies and tips for a positive experience
The CARD System
The CARD system provides strategies that can be used to help cope before and during vaccination.
- CARD (comfort, ask, relax, distract) system for parents and caregivers (PDF)
- CARD System videos: 4 short videos teaching children different strategies they can use when preparing for a vaccine.
- CARD Game for Kids
- Canadian Pharmacists Journal:
Needle fear/pain management
- Parents Canada and Immunize Canada: Needles don't have to hurt (PDF)
- Caring for Kids: A guide for parents to reduce vaccination pain (PDF)
Children’s Hospital – LHSC: My Comfort Plan (PDF)
- SKIP (Solutions for Kids in Pain): Fear of needles: 5 simple ways to ease vaccination pain for yourself and your child
- SKIP: Needle Pain Management for Vaccinations & More (PDF)
- Immunize Canada: Pain Management During Immunizations for Children
Our Resource Round-up series gathers available resources and practice tools on important health topics to help you in your practice. This is not an exhaustive list of available resources on childhood vaccination. Something missing? If you have information, tools or resources you think we should include, please let us know at email@example.com.
Last updated on January 18, 2023