At the June 1, 2014 AGM, CPhA members approved a new governance and membership model for CPhA. The new CPhA will enhance advocacy efforts and facilitate collaboration to ensure a strong profession. Working together, we aim to make our Organizational Members stronger and ensure that pharmacy can respond quickly to the changes affecting our profession and the health care system.
In the new membership model, provincial pharmacy advocacy associations (PPAs) and select national pharmacist associations (NPAs) can choose to become Organizational Members of CPhA. If they join, their individual pharmacist and pharmacy student members automatically become CPhA Associates. Should your provincial association choose not to join CPhA, you will be able to join directly as an Affiliate; however, at this time we anticipate all PPAs will sign on.
As a result of these changes, CPhA is currently not actively renewing or recruiting individual pharmacist members, especially in those provinces that have joined CPhA.
New Member Organizations
The following PPAs have signed MOUs to join CPhA this summer. We expect several more to join over the next few months.
- Alberta Pharmacists Association (RxA) effective August 1, 2014
- Association of Faculties of Pharmacy of Canada (AFPC) effective August 1, 2014
- British Columbia Pharmacy Association (BCPhA) effective September 1, 2014
- New Brunswick Pharmacists Association (NBPA) effective July 1, 2014
- Ontario Pharmacists Association (OPA) effective July 1, 2014
- Pharmacists’ Association of Newfoundland and Labrador (PANL) effective September 1, 2014
- Pharmacists’ Association of Saskatchewan (PAS) effective July 1, 2014
- Pharmacy Association of Nova Scotia (PANS) effective August 1, 2014
Under the new governance structure, the CPhA Board of Directors will be made up of representatives from each Organizational Member, as well as up to six skills-based individuals.
For more information, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
If you are currently a member of CPhA or your PPA/NPA, please watch your inbox for details on what this means for you and your status.