Diabetes Resources & Information
Canadian Diabetes Association Documents
- Canadian Diabetes Association 2013 Clinical Guidelines for the Prevention and Management of Diabetes in Canada
- Health care provider tools
- Slides and Videos- Organized by Chapter
Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) CANRISK Resources
Canadian Pharmacists Journal
As part of the Strategy, the Canadian Pharmacists Journal (CPJ) developed the first set of diabetes practice guidelines specifically for pharmacists, based on the Canadian Diabetes Association's 2008 Clinical Guidelines for the Prevention and Management of Diabetes in Canada. This CPJ supplement, titled Diabetes, was distributed with the March/April 2009 issue of the journal and contains a summary of recommendations for pharmacists in the management and follow-up of patients with this chronic disease.
CPhA and the Canadian Diabetes Association joint documents
The Canadian Optimal Medication Prescribing and Utilization Service (COMPUS), a directorate of the Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH), is a collaborative, pan-Canadian service funded by Health Canada. In partnership with the federal, provincial, and territorial Ministries of Health, COMPUS identifies and promotes optimal drug therapy. Strategies, tools, and services are provided to encourage the use of evidence-based clinical and cost-effectiveness information in decision making among health care providers and consumers.
COMPUS has examined evidence and utilization of insulin analogues and has released recommendations on their use. These documents will be helpful to pharmacists to understand the reasons for differences in recommendations between COMPUS and the CDA.
Additional work by COMPUS is examining evidence and utilization of blood glucose test strips.
Additional Diabetes Tools
- Diabetes Care Community's Youtube Channel
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- Diabetes Educator Section (DES) of the Canadian Diabetes Association
- Canadian Diabetes Educator Certification Board (CDECB)
- Public Health Association of Canada – Diabetes page
- COMPUS - Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH)
- Dietitians of Canada
- International Diabetes Federation
- Healthline - Type 2 Diabetes (American information)
- The Michener Institute
- Diabetes Educator Graduate Certificate Program
- Diabetes Educator Specialty Courses