Medical Cannabis CE
Cannabis is now a legally approved therapeutic option for several conditions. Pharmacists need current information on cannabinoid products, their therapeutic effects and current regulations regarding medical cannabis use, to provide effective medication management for their patients.
We are developing a series of practice resources for pharmacists, drawing from best available evidence and experts in the field. Accredited continuing education is a key component. New courses will be added as they become available.
An Introduction to Medical Cannabis and Cannabinoids (1.0 CEUs)
This foundational course will provide you with an overview of the different types of cannabinoids available in Canada, their therapeutic effects, and their impact on human physiology. It will cover Canadian regulations on the use of cannabis for medical purposes and focus on your important role in advising patients who have been prescribed cannabis as part of their treatment plan.
Delivery: online, self-directed
Accreditation #: 8002-2017-2237-I-P
Exclusive free benefit for members of provincial pharmacy associations and AFPC.
- Describe, generally, the endocannabinoid system and its function
- State the cannabinoid availability in Canada including both prescription cannabinoids and medical cannabis
- Outline Canadian regulations regarding the use of cannabis for medical purposes
- Explain the role of pharmacists in supporting patient care related to cannabinoid use
Assessment and Completion Requirements:
This course has been accredited by the Canadian Pharmacists Association, a CCCEP-approved accredited provider. To earn the Statement of Completion, participants must complete and achieve 70% or greater on the summative post-test. You will have up to two attempts to pass the post-test.
This self-directed online course is available for registration up until its accreditation expiry date (expires November 6, 2018). You must complete the course before its expiry date; we cannot guarantee access after this point.
This is a computer-based online course and operates on the UW LEARN platform. You will need:
- A desktop or laptop/notebook computer (the course is not optimized for tablets or smartphones)
- High-speed internet access
- Recommended internet browsers: Firefox, Internet Explorer 9, Safari
- Soundcard and speakers or headphones
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Adobe Flash
For more information run a test of your computer system.
Supplementary Tools and Resources:
Please visit our Medical Cannabis Resources page for more practice tools and resources and information about related initiatives.
Funded in part by an unrestricted educational grant from Shoppers Drug Mart/Loblaw.