Assistant Technical Editor (XML)
Department: Digital Solutions
Reports to: Manager, Editorial Processing
The Canadian Pharmacists Association (CPhA) is actively recruiting for a bilingual Assistant Technical Editor on a 1-year term to join our Digital Solutions department. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for a detail-oriented, quick-learning, technically-astute individual to be an integral part of CPhA’s mission of advancing the health and well-being of all Canadians through excellence in pharmacist care.
The Assistant Technical Editor is responsible for working with the Editorial Processing team to prepare and update content of the Canadian Pharmacists Association (CPhA) publications for multichannel publishing, mainly the content of the CPS: Drug Information English and French and other CPhA publications as required.
Duties and Tasks
- Prepares and updates content of CPhA English and French publications from a word processor application into XML format (XML-editor training will be provided through virtual training by the Senior Assistant Editor).
- Formats content using the established templates and style guides, and using the appropriate software tools (XML, Word, Excel).
- Assists with conversion of XML files to publication-ready formats.
- Compares the bilingual documents for consistency and accuracy as necessary.
- Performs quality assurance on documents before print and electronic publication.
- Accesses and updates documents within a content management system.
- Assists with QA testing of new and upgraded software implementation.
- Contributes to process documentation.
- Contributes ideas and changes to the workflow automation system.
- Participates in regular Editorial Processing group meetings.
- Participates in working groups as needed.
- Support and advocate for diversity and inclusion
- Graduate of an accredited college or university program with focus on office system technology, computer science, computer information systems, editing or similar.
- Relevant experience in a publishing or editing role, commensurate with the level of an Assistant Technical Editor
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and in French (the language of work is English)
- Proven editorial and proofreading skills.
- Computer literate and proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently within a collaborative, professional team.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, manage multiple tasks, and work to deadlines.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Supportive of diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Knowledge of medical terminology in English and French (oral and written).
- Experience with structured data models such as XML/HTML.
- Knowledge programming languages such as Xquery, SQL.
- Knowledge of databases.
- Knowledge of content management systems/version control systems.
- There may be mild stressful conditions such as interruptions, ongoing troubleshooting and resolving issues and multiple simultaneous demands while maintaining day to day workflow.
- Due to remote/virtual working environment, there may be experiences of mild eye strain from extended periods of screen viewing
How to Apply
- If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, we invite you to present your resume, in confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you require an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources
- While we appreciate all interested applicants, only those individuals who are legally permitted to work in Canada will be considered
- At the Canadian Pharmacists Association, we recognize, value and celebrate diversity, inclusion and equity. Our Diversity & Inclusion Framework is embedded in all our processes, policies and employee initiatives.